Our Information Desk will be forwarding your Query / Comments to the
concerned department for an immediate response. Kindly be patient as
someone will contact you very soon to see if there is anything we can help you with
Information Desk GMC Srinagar
message Submitted from IP: ec2-54-80-228-137.compute-1.amazonaws.com
GOVERNMENT MEDICAL COLLEGE, SRINAGAR AND ITS ASSOCIATED HOSPITALS Achievements 2013
Government Medical College (GMC), Srinagar, one of the oldest medical colleges in North India and first one in the Jammu & Kashmir (J & K) State is currently in its 54th year of birth. It has a leading role in contributing major portion of healthcare manpower to the J & K State. It has been contributing towards producing many renowned and leading clinicians not just in Sub-Continent, but all over the world since its inception. In an effort to contribute to better healthcare delivery GMC and its associated hospitals have been always trying to improve upon their previous standards. To achieve these goals GMC and associated hospitals have been adding to their existing facilities. GMC and its associated hospitals have been developing with much faster pace in last two years compared to previous. Below is the list of some major achievements since last year (since May 2012):
GMC General Achievements
GMC (GENERAL ACHIEVEMENTS)
1. Computerization of GMC and SMHS Hospital for digitalization of all records to save material and manpower.
2. Computerization of College Library with internet facility to provide access to latest happenings in medical field to the students and research scholars.
3. Professional Dynamic Website of GMC Srinagar Launched
4. Providing access for faculty and students to huge medical database including world renowned medical journals pertaining to almost all specialties in medical sciences (search.proquest.com).
5. Establishing of Medical Education Unit for conducting regular seminars and workshops (every fortnightly) with provision of credit points.
6. Engagement of Doctors (plus 200 Assistant Surgeons/Medical Officers posts got for GMC and recruited on academic arrangement) and Para Medical Staff.
7.Dewan’s land got back from Health Department and the drawing and design for new Pediatric Hospital got finalized
8. Establishing Revolving Fund.Deputation of faculty to national and international fellowships.
9. Labs to be upgraded so that all tests will be done within the hospitals of GMC
10. Annual College Day and Annual Sports Day celebrated after a long gap of time.
11.All Nursing and Para Medical institutes given to GMC Srinagar (Principal/Dean as President)
12.B.Sc. Nursing course started at GMC Srinagar.
13. Research Projects (for first time) have been submitted by the faculty of GMC Srinagar to ICMR
Govt. Medical College Srinagar has been taken up as main Bio-Ethics Centre in North India. It will be having sub-centers at places like Delhi and Chandigarh.
CONFERENCES/WORKSHOPHELD IN 2013
1. North West Zone ENT Conference. 2.North Zone Surgery Conference. 3.Annual North Zone OphthalmologicalSociety Conference. 4.9th Annual National Conference ofIndian Association of Biological Psychiatry 5.Research Methodology Workshop.
Departments of GMC Achievements
DEPARTMENTS OF GMC
MICROBIOLOGY: Many latest types of equipment were procured including BACT Alert, Vitek, Thermo-cycler, Gene probe, Elisa reader etc.
PATHOLOGY: Additional facilities procured for Department of Pathology include 10 headed microscope, IHC, Automated microtome and Automated CBC analyzer.
Procurement of NAT is under negotiation.
PHARMACOLOGY: Department of Pharmacology has been equipped with most modern gadgets, computers for virtual Demonstrations and HPLC.
PHYSIOLOGY: PG lab was renovated, along with providing Audio-visual and Internet facility for teaching. Latest Physiographic machine was provided to the department.
ANATOMY: The facilities provided to Department of Anatomy during last one year include latest Microtome, Automated Tissue processor, Projectors, Ultrasound, Internet facility for teaching, Audio-visual facility and 5 headed microscopes.
BIOCHEMISTRY: Along with renovating PG lab and providing Modern Gel technology, Latest lab machines added to the department.
SPM: Nishat and Harwan sub-centers were modernized by providing upgraded equipment.
FORENSIC MEDICINE: A much needed Mortuary was added to the department in last one year.
SMHS Hospital General
SMHS HOSPITAL GENERAL ACHIEVEMENTS: a)Computerization System installed for digital record keeping.
b)Triage: - Much needed system of triage was inaugurated integrating services of different departments for providing emergency and disaster care. It was equipped with latest Ventilators, Cardiac monitors, Portable X-Ray and Ultra Sound.
c)Medical ICU: - was started for providing optimal care to critical and serious patients in Medicine Department. Triage and Medical ICU have grossly reduced mortality of the SMHS Hospital.
d)Mega overhauling and Renovation of the SMHS Hospital was done and old depilated structures were replaced.
e)New Oxygen plant was installed for SMHS. f)Incinerators for SMHS and LD hospitals were upgraded and made eco friendly. (These will be started very soon). g)Latest Plasma-pyrolysis was installed in SMHS for biomedical waste management. h)CCTV and Public address systems were added to facilitate movement of attendants in the hospital. i)Water purifiers were installed in the hospitals for providing safe drinking water facilities to the patients and their attendants.
Longawaited facilities of Neurosurgical procedures and ward were started duringlast one year. Now patients need not to go to SKIMS for such facilities forgetting such treatment.
Department of ENT
Departmentof ENT improved considerably during last one year with starting of sleep Laband Temporal bone dissection Lab. Emergency OT of ENT department wasestablished to deal with ENT emergencies and OT/ward was renovated. Seminar room of the department was alsoestablished.
NorthWest Zone ENT Conference was conducted by the department in GMC Srinagar.
Presidentof North West Zone Conference.
Department of Surgery
Highdefinition 3 chip camera with Endo-vision system for urology along withRadiofrequency ablation machine were given to the department. A new autoclavewas acquired for other department. Lithotrypsy tenders were floated.
Department of Ophthalmology
DEPARTMENTOF OPHTHALMOLOGY: Thefacilities for Ophthalmology patients in SMHS Hospital improved with Purchasingof Excimer Laser and up gradation of microscope. Phaco accessories, Strearetinoscope and other Ophthalmology instruments were added to the department.OT and ward of the department were renovated.
FurtherAnnual North Zone Ophthalmological Society Conference (NZOS-GAASH-2013) wasconducted by the department.
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care
DEPARTMENTOF ANESTHESIOLOGY AND CRITICAL CARE: SurgicalIntensive Care Unit (SICU) was fully equipped with infusion pumps, monitors andmore ventilators during last one year.
GeneralAnesthesia facilities (G/A) were extended to the departments ofGastro-Enterlogy (GE), cardiology, neurosurgery, and other super specialties.
Division of Cardiology Department of Medicine
DIVISIONOF CARDIOLOGY (Department of Medicine) Facilitiesof RF Ablation were started in the department of Cardiology.
DIVISION OF GASTROENTEROLOGY Department of Medicine
DIVISIONOF GASTROENTEROLOGY (Department of Medicine):
Divisionof Gastroenterology has been provided with latest facilities of a modernHepatology Laboratory (with PCR Lab settings and Wet Laboratory setting) and aSophisticated Gastroenterology Laboratory (with Machinery Equipments,Endoscopic Accessories and Electronic Gadgets).
DEPARTMENT OF ONCOLOGY AND RADIOLOGY
Newfacilities are being provided to ailing patients in the department with thestarting of Medical Oncology Ward. Linearaccelerator will be installed soon along with starting Brachytherapy.
DEPARTMENTOF RADIOLOGY: Facilitiesat department have increased during last one year by installing New Ct scan andMRI (at super specialty) made functional.
BLOODBANK: Longawaited Hemophilia centre was started for the needy patients with facilities ofFactor 8.
24x7Emergency Services were started for first time in CD Hospital. ICU withMonitors and C Pap/ B Pap was made functional in the hospital. Labs wereupgraded and made functional 24x7.
FiberOptic Bronchoscopy started and Thoracoscopy were introduced first time in thevalley in this hospital along with establishment of sleep lab and Allergy Lab.
All respiratory emergencies nowreferred to CD Hospital.
PSYCHIATRIC DISEASES HOSPITAL
PSYCHIATRICDISEASES HOSPITAL (IMHANS):
PsychiatricDiseases Hospital being renovated completely on new and modern lines with oldstructure being dismantled and construction of new building started. Tendershave been floated for establishing a new MRI Centre at the hospital forpsychiatric patients.
L. D. HOSPITAL
L. D. HOSPITAL: Numerous facilities were added at the leading maternity hospital of the Valley.
Hysteroscopy facilities were started first time in last year at the hospital.
New equipment and instruments added include calposcope, Laparoscope, Color Doppler and 3 CTG machines.
Addition of ICU with two ventilators has reduced mortality grossly. Consultants are being sent to AIIMS for advanced Laparoscopic training. 40 Beds were added to Labor room along with replacement of all Old OT Tables/Lights. Post Operative Ward and Recovery Ward have been renovated. Teaching facilities have been improved by providing renovation of Seminar room and installing permanent audiovisual facility connecting OT with seminar room.
Two workshops were conducted in the hospital last year.
High dependency ward being established for better care of critical patients, for which staff will be trained at SMHS Hospital.
Park for attendants has been provided and a New Museum established
BONE AND JOINT HOSPITAL
BONEAND JOINT HOSPITAL:
24/7Causality Theatre started functioning and is providing services. Newtheatre block is being equipped with all necessary and latest equipments andgadgets and is about to be started. Color Doppler hasbeen added for providing such facility to the patients
GB PANT HOSPITAL
There has been atotal facelift of the facilities and services provided at GB Pant Hospital,with visible improvement appreciated by general masses
1. Free disposable tubing’s andhumidifier for every new neonate on ventilators @ Rs. 1,850/each
2. Free disposable Unit for Bubble CPAP@ Rs. 2,700/- (Rs. 4,500/)
Beds: 140 Semi-fowlers beds in place inWard (Emergency)
2 New beds in Wards under renovation
NRHM: IMPLEMENTATION OF JSSK:
1. Free medicines, drugs, consumables,transport to 0-30 days
2. Free medicines, drugs, diet,consumables, transport to delivered mothers: Diet (@ Rs. 100/day/beneficiary)for3days for NDs, 7 days for CS
3. Free Diet to the mothers of neonatesadmitted, up to 5 days of admission
4. Free Investigation to neonates
a. PPP with Lath Path Lab
ESTABLISHMENT OF NUTRITIONAL REHABILITATION CENTRE bedded NRC operational since May 2013
IMPLEMENTATION OF JSY: Operationalized from September2013.
NABHACCREDITATION: In process PRIVATIZATIONOF BIO-MEDICAL WASTE DISPOSAL: PPP with Kashmir Health CareSystems Pvt. Ltd. REORGANIZATION/RE-STRUCTURING BLOOD BANK Completed
Upgrading of Hematology &Biochemistry Lab
Installation of ABG Analyzer inNICU
Trinocular microscope with LCD
Incubators with digital controlfor Microbiology lab
Establishment of Microbiology lab
Installation of automatic cultureand sensitivity system
Bio-safety cabin for Microbiology
Horizontal Steam Autoclave
Vertical Steam Autoclave
Using Vacuutainers for collectionof blood (Red/ Purple).
• Installation of DigitalRadiography System
• USG Machine registered on29-08-2012 by CMO Sgr
• Mobile X-ray units (Siemens)
OTHERFACILITIES AND EQUIPMENTS:
Thenew equipments and facilities provided are innumerable including
• Incubators with digital controlfor Microbiology lab
• Binocular microscopes
• Double-Distillation plants
• High-speed centrifuge
• Bio-safety cabin for Microbiology
• Laminar-flow bench for NICU
• Micro-balance for Microbiology
• Electric sterilizers
• Installation of CCTVs system
• Tata Winger ambulance (AC) andForce Ambulance
• Air-conditioning of neonatalintensive care unit (NICU)
• Pediatric Intensive Care Unit(PICU) and Operation Theater
• Water-purifier in NICU
• Patient identification tags (blue& pink)
• Automatic microbiological cultureand drug-sensitivity system
• Water Coolers and Water Filters
• Public Address System etc
• Radiation safety measures:
• Radiation Safety Officer
• Daily Mortality Meeting &Verbal Autopsy at 9:45 am
• 2 Registrars on night duty (1 inCasualty/ NICU)
• Consultant on Duty conducts roundat 10 pm
• Streamlining of MRD- retrieving ofcase files
• AMC on computerization
• Admission (Indoor) Registers inwards
IMPLEMENTATAIONOF RASHTRIYA SWASTHA BIMA YOJNA:
• Process initiated
• Strict measures in NICU/ PICU
• Use of disposable gowns, masks,caps, shoe-covers
• Infection Surveillance:
• Samples from NICU, PICU
• Infection Control Nurses
TRAININGS: Training of para-medics (4batches, 10 each)
Safe injection practices Bio-medical waste management Infection control Training under NRHM by Departmentof Pediatrics, GMC Srinagar Training of doctors and nurses forFacility based Newborn Care (SNCU) by National Collaborative Centre, New Delhi:
4 days training at GB PantHospital, Srinagar from 27 Aug 2012
Two weeks Observer-ship training atNew Delhi (5 Batches, starting from 01-10-2012), for GB Pant Hospital doctorsand nurses batch training will be from 03-12 to 15-12-2012, vide Government order no. 586-HME of 2012 dated28-09-2012
13 days training in INMCI &NSSK for doctors and nurses, from 17 September, 2012
Training of doctors onbreast-feeding practices
AMC with UEED/ MED
AMC with UEED/ MED
Augmentation with new
Three feeders now supplying GBPH
2nd Diesel generator Operationalization of Lifts
• 40 new nurses (OAA) joined
• 5 Pharmacists/ lab Techs (joinedunder SSRB)
• Daily Mortality Meeting at 9:45 am
• Mortality Review by PMC/ HODMedicine
• Renovation of two wards ( bothcompleted-operational)
• Renovation of 96 bath rooms (12completed; rest to be renovated)
• Renovation of attic rooms forattendants
• Renovation of laboratories(Separate Microbiology and Hematology/ Bio-chemistry lab)
• PPP with HPVT
• PPP with taxi stand (JSSK)
• PPP with LPL (for tests) SETTINGUP OF GOVERNMENT DRUG COUNTER in GB Pant Hospital: License no. SR/18779 and SR/18780issued by Drug & Food Control Organization, J&K, Srinagar SECURITY: SPOs in place
HOSTELS: Therewas improvement to the facilities provided to the doctors and students residingin the hostels of GMC Srinagar. New fans and water purifiers were provided.Cricket turf and football ground was prepared at Bemina Hostel. Hostels wererenovated, along with providing new furniture for dining halls and readingroom.